Customized Classes for Local Unions
Bring labor education to your local union! Labor Center educators regularly travel to teach classes for unions in communities across Iowa at times and locations that are convenient for working adults. We can also offer classes taught remotely using the Zoom platform. We offer classes on a broad range of topics and can also design an agenda customized to your particular union and industry.
Off-campus classes can take many formats, including:
- Weekdays, evenings, and/or weekends
- Hour-long, half-day, full-day, or multi-day programs
- Brief classes at union meetings
- Classes for two or more unions or for state/regional councils
If you decide that an online class works best, you can expect the following:
- We work with you to customize the agenda to your needs
- You pick dates and times best for you and your members
- We set up Zoom links, provide handouts in advance, and orient everyone to technology needed to participate safely
- Classes include interactive discussions, real-life scenarios, and up-to-date information
- Other benefits include chances to connect leaders across locations without travel time/costs, increase comfort levels using online platforms for union discussions, and keep stewards and members engaged, informed, and connected to the union
- Costs match standard Labor Center off-campus program rates: $350/day for small locals (under 1,000 members) and $500/day for large locals (over 1,000 members)
Off-campus program fees vary, depending on sponsoring organization size and type:
- local unions under 1,000 members or nonprofits, community, faith-based organizations: $350/day, plus cost of materials, if provided in hard copy form
- Iowa statewide federations, councils or local unions with 1,000 or more members: $500/day, plus cost of materials, if provided in hard copy form
- regional, national, or international organizations meeting in Iowa: $500/day, plus cost of materials and travel
- out-of-state programs: $1,000/day, plus cost of materials and travel
A sliding scale fee reduction for local unions or Iowa-based organizations experiencing financial hardship is available on a case-by-case basis.
Instruction in Spanish and/or simultaneous interpretation in other languages is available if requested in advance.
Download Labor Center 2021-2022 brochure (pdf)
Contact the Labor Center to arrange a class: